Re: range locking not used in GroupWise

You are right, the protocol does not need to deal with the range lock.
If needed it can be performed at the resource level. If a DMS manages
documents via a database then the resource name becomes the
access name for the document.

I believe we are no longer at cross purposes.

-src

>>> Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com> 02/25/97 07:51AM >>>
Steve,

You keep on talking about function, and I'm talking about protocol.
The issue isn't whether the function needs to get exposed, the
issue is whether the protocol needs to be aware of it. I don't
see any good reason why the protocol needs to get more complicated
to deal with "byte range locking" when "resource locking" covers
it, because a "byte range" can be a "resource".

Is there really a disagreement, or are we just talking at cross
purposes?

Larry