Re: Draft Combined Requirements Document

# Maybe what I said is just stupid, and David hints that it has already
been
# discussed before, I probably missed or forgot that. But the
prohibition to
# interpret URLs is not complied to neither for locations (after #), nor
for
# parameters (after ?). So this would be a (highly justifiable) case for
# another special decoration. Tough.

I've been in the middle of the process of standardization of URLs for
nearly five
years now, and I can assure you that "Tough" is an understatement.

Your "highly justifiable" is unjustified. The only justification you've
given
is that you think this will optimize the protocol involved in some
(unspecified)
versioning operations. On the other hand, the arguments against using
any
standard syntactic extension to URLs are pretty strong. As I see it, if
you really examine the situations wher eyou think you're unnecessarily
requiring
an additional HTTP request, the additional request is necessary, since
you'll
actually need more information about the resource than just the URL of
the root.

# I can just see the comparisons and benchmarks of servers and clients
on Byte.
# This is a GOOD excuse for information racism.

Useless hyperbole. Please desist.

Regards,

Larry