Re: Open Issues -- Attributes

# Let us be clear on our terminology - There is no such thing as an
# attribute in DAV. All that exists are links. The concept of attribute is
# ill defined and DAV wisely avoids involving itself in that mire.

It's impossible to avoid. The current draft takes a stand. That stand
is itself a position on "how to deal with attributes": don't.

# 4. It is up to the server to determine what links it will and will not
# allow. Furthermore it is up to the server to create links whenever the
# mood strikes.

This is taking a stand in the area of "the server does whatever it
wants, the clients must discover beforehand what it will probably do,
do the operation, and then discover whether it happened" with so much
possible variability that it seems difficult to write an interoperable
client. Are there really no constraints? Can you actually imagine
writing a client that deals with all of the possible interactions?

# 			In the coming weeks I will be
# posting a proposed standard for how to deal w/the attribute issues
# detailed in your letter. I am currently working on that proposal.

I think we got into trouble at the last meeting because the group
didn't really see or understand the proposal. It's hard to get
consensus in such situations. If you have some idea for how you think
we should handle attributes, you should tell us what it is so that we
can discuss it.

Larry