Re: POST vs. separate methods

Larry Masinter wrote:

> I was thinking more of a return header from ANY request that
> identified a set of other URLs whose cache entries should be marked
> stale. So, if you POST a new entry to
>
>        http://host.dom/container
>
> you might get back a return header that it updated:
>
> 	http://host.dom/container/3q96/by-date
> 	http://host.dom/container/3q96/by-author
>
> or (even)
> 	http://host.dom/container/3q96/*
>
> This puts the computational burden on the update method rather than
> retrieval, and is predicated on an assumption that reads happen far
> more frequently than writes.

I like this idea - but it isn't very practical, I fear. If the request is
handled by a CGI, then how does the server know what's been updated? For highly
automated sites, the list of URLs could be huge. In fact, a set of URLs which
access a database is pretty much a one-way function as far as calculating
validity goes (though I did have this crazy idea about inverse SQL once...).

Cheers,

Ben.