Re: WebDAV Bug?

On 11 Dec 2013, at 4:31 PM, ken wrote:
> On 12/09/2013 10:03 PM Jim Schatzman wrote:
>> Can anyone explain the following behavior and how to fix it?
>>
>> I am running WebDAV with Apache2 version 2.2.15.
>>
>> I take a tgz file and split it. The files are named
>>
>> test_xaa  test_xab test_xac etc.
>>
>> I then attempt to download the files through a browser. I have tried several browsers and the result is always the same.
> [....]
>
> I'm guessing that the problem isn't with apache or webdav, but rather wtih the browser.  Check its settings -> applications to see if some app is automatically unzipping the first file, test_xaa.

Do you have mod_mime_magic enabled? My guess is that the following is happening:

- Apache cannot assign a MIME-type based on file extension or filesystem metadata, since neither of those exist for this file.
- Apache (via mod_mime_magic) looks at the first few bytes of the file to determine its MIME-type, and discovers that it's tar+gzip or maybe just gzip.
- Client is given this information in the response.
- Client (possibly in concert with the OS) has some behavior to automatically un-gzip downloaded files. (Possibly due to the near-universal confusion between content-encoding and transfer-encoding.)