Re: About COPY Overwrite:T Depth:0

On 2011-12-18 22:11, Werner Baumann wrote:
> Copy with Depth: 0 is one of the fancy ideas of RFC 4918 that was never
> seriously defined, just as Collection is mostly undefined.

Well, it's seriously defined, but maybe it needs to be clarified.

WRT collections: what exactly is the problem?

> Copy - with or without Overwrite - of collections only makes sense with
> Depths: infinity. Depth 0 or 1 will work when the depth of the tree is
> 0 or 1 in which case you could use Depth infinity as well. Otherwise

Depth: 1 isn't defined in 4918.

> you will get orphaned members or mappings to non-existent members. Or
> you create a copy of a collection that isn't a copy because it has a
> different list of direct members.

I'm losing you.

The spec says:

"A COPY of "Depth: 0" only instructs that the collection and its
properties, but not resources identified by its internal member URLs,
are to be copied."

The problem I can see is that if you read this literally, you'd copy the
bindings to the member resources, which is unlikely to be intended.
Sounds like an erratum to me.

Do you see other problems?

Best regards, Julian