Re: WebDAV sync report w/invalid sync token

From: Cyrus Daboo <cyrus@daboo.name>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 11:23:34 -0500
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, Evert Pot <evert@rooftopsolutions.nl>
cc: Ken Murchison <murch@andrew.cmu.edu>, w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
Hi Julian,

--On November 15, 2011 5:02:04 PM +0100 Julian Reschke
<julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:

>> I'd be nice if the spec authors could explicitly state an http error
>> code for every error condition. I don't think leaving it open to
>> interpretation (or unclear.. have your pick) is a good thing. ...
>
> That can be dangerous, as it could trick developers to think that these
> are the only codes that need to be handled... So the spec would need to
> make clear that these are just examples/suggestions...

Which is exactly what the WebDAV base spec describes for
pre-/post-conditions, hence the fact that no other WebDAV extension
documents explicitly list a status code. Plus the distinction between some
codes is not always clear - we could argue for a long time over whether 403
or 409 should be returned for an invalid sync token.

--
Cyrus Daboo