Re: WebDAV sync informal last call

From: Cyrus Daboo <cyrus@daboo.name>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 10:08:35 -0400
To: Werner Donné <werner.donne@pincette.biz>
cc: Arnaud Quillaud <arnaud.quillaud@oracle.com>, w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
Hi Werner,

--On April 19, 2011 10:14:13 AM +0200 Werner Donné
<werner.donne@pincette.biz> wrote:

>> That statement about the "405" case is not entirely true. If such a
>> collection is created after the initial sync on one of its parents, then
>> it will need to be reported in the "405" state on the next sync of that
>> parent. I think the current text accurately describes the situation:
>>
>>   The 405 response MUST be sent once, when the collection is first
>>   reported to the client.
>
> What is the rationale behind sending it only once?

Same rationale that causes changes to a resource to only be reported once.
Basically a server only sends notification of a change in "state" of a
resource once to anyone particular client for the simple reason that sync
clients are expected to persist some state from the last sync operation.

Simply put a "405" resource is no different from any other, except as
follows:

- When the resource first appears in the sync set, it is reported with a
403+DAV:error code
- No change notifications are sent for the resource since it does not
report any changes
- If the resource is removed, a 404 is returned

With that behavior, the "405" is effectively sent only once.

--
Cyrus Daboo