Re: Proposal for work on an efficient, browser-friendly, HTTP-based communication protocol for fine-grained information exchange

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 17:08:14 +0200
To: Wenbo Zhu <wenboz@google.com>
CC: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
On 19.08.2010 20:00, Wenbo Zhu wrote:
>     I think we need to be careful; if we over-engineer the data model we
>     may scare away parts of the audience we want to include. It should
>     be possible to define something that has an easy-to-use JSON
>     representation but still have a solid model in the background.
>
>     Including relations into the model makes sense to me. Links and link
>     relations are important.
>
>     I'm not sure I understand the point about naming; could you elaborate?
>
> Separate the logic naming scheme from its syntactic representation ...
>   and the former should be derived from the "background model". When

Yes. We just need to make sure that by doing it this way, the wire
format doesn't get more complicated than necessary.

> relationships are included, entities may be addressed via links too.
>            Extensions to WebDAV and mappings from/to WebDAV could be
>         useful, but
>             would not be a core part of this activity. (That is, we can
>         do without
>             if no volunteers speak up).
>

>         Resource-based concurrency-control and sync (revision logs)
>         specs may be
>         developed on top of these deliverables as well.
>

>     Concurrency control as in locking? (be it optimistic or pessimistic)
>
> Yes.

I think if we do things right, optimistic locking based on HTTP/1.1
conditional requests and etags will work.

I'm not convinced there's big interest for pessimistic locking ( la
WebDAV locking) at this point of time.

Best regards, Julian