status code 425

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 19:11:21 +0200
To: WebDAV <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
Hi,

I just found in <http://www.iana.org/assignments/http-status-codes>:

> 425       Reserved for WebDAV advanced             [RFC2817]
>           collections expired proposal

RFC 2817 says
(<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2817.html#rfc.section.7.1>):

 > 3. WebDAV Advanced Collections [5] (Work in Progress) [defines 425]

where [5] is:

>    [5]  Slein, J., Whitehead, E.J., et al., "WebDAV Advanced Collections
>         Protocol",  Work In Progress.

...which of course isn't *that* helpful (RFC Editor, you listening? :-)

Anyway, this seems to come from
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-webdav-collection-protocol-04#section-7.2>
which says:

> 7.2 425 Unordered Collection
>

> The 425 (Unordered Collection) status code indicates that the client
> attempted to set the position of an internal collection member in an
> unordered collection or in a collection with a server-maintained
> ordering.

That draft was never finished, but RFC 3648 ("Web Distributed Authoring
and Versioning (WebDAV) Ordered Collections Protocol") was. That uses
the precondition name "DAV:collection-must-be-ordered" instead
(<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc3648.html#rfc.section.6.1>).

I don't believe anybody has implemented status code 425.

Maybe we should un-reserve it in the IANA registry?

Best regards, Julian