Re: Comments on Action:draft-brown-versioning-link-relations-03

From: Jan Algermissen <algermissen1971@mac.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 09:29:26 +0100
Cc: Atom-syntax Syntax' <atom-syntax@imc.org>, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, WebDAV <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>, w3c-dist-auth-request@w3.org
To: Geoffrey M Clemm <geoffrey.clemm@us.ibm.com>

On Nov 28, 2009, at 6:19 AM, Geoffrey M Clemm wrote:

> Note that versioning servers without working copies often still
> require a checkout/checkin protocol.
> The "checkout" method is used as a notification to other users that
> this client is working on that resource.
> The "checkin" method is used to tell the server "I want you to
> create a new version with the current content" (while a PUT just
> updates the current content without creating a new version).

In this case, checkout/checkin is also orthogonal to the notion of
versioning and would not need to be mentioned in the spec. IOW, the
only reason mentioning checkin/checkout in the spec is because the
definition of working copy depends on it.

Jan

> Cheers,
> Geoff
>
> Jan Algermissen wrote on 11/27/2009 12:13:27 PM:

> > I think the notion of versioning is orthogonal to the notion of
> > checkout/checkin and the draft seems to be centered around it. If a
> > resource is being versioned by the server, all relations make sense,
> > except working-copy. Only for working-copy you need to introduce
> > checkin/checkout. It is just another means putting the versioning
> > 'action' in the hands of the client.
> >
> > (But please takte this only as input - the draft just triggered an
> > analysis process and that keeps going :-)
> > I cannot judge if it is significant enough to justify work on the
> > draft or even this exchange...

Jan Algermissen

Mail: algermissen@acm.org
Blog: http://algermissen.blogspot.com/