Re: Comments on Action:draft-brown-versioning-link-relations-03

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 16:26:51 +0100
To: Jan Algermissen <algermissen1971@mac.com>
CC: Atom-syntax Syntax' <atom-syntax@imc.org>, WebDAV <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
Jan Algermissen wrote:
> (Sorry if this is confusing matters, but...)
> I am not sure that the notion of a 'versioned resource' is necessary at
> all. If the draft defined 'version' instead the whole checkin/checkout
> notion could be dropped.

The reason for making the distinction is that in many systems, versions
and versionable resources are different things (for instance, in JCR and
WebDAV).

> 'Working Copy' could be defined separately as a resource that is an
> 'private copy' of a resource, one whose URI is not made available to any
> client except upon initial creation (sorry that this is so imprecise - I
> hope you get the idea).

The URI of a working copy may not be private at all.

...it's really to hard to come up with terminology that is compatible
with many different system.

> IWO, the draft somehow circles around the checkin/checkout operations
> and I am not sure that is necessary.
>
> (But if this sounds completely insane, just ignore it)

No, I'm listening; and hoping for more feedback...

BR, Julian