Re: [caldav] [VCARDDAV] new webdav sync draft

On Sat, 2009-11-21 at 07:56 +0100, Julian Reschke wrote:
> Andrew McMillan wrote:
> >

> >> A client may ask for any property... as long as it is defined as
> >> such... calendar-data is not one of them. See
> >> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4791#section-9.6 :
> >> <<
> >> However, the CALDAV:calendar-data XML element is
> >>       not a WebDAV property and, as such, is not returned in PROPFIND
> >
> > Ah, what a shame.  Can I take it from this that CardDAV will also suffer
> > from this limitation?
>
> Can't resist: "I told you so". Pseudo-properties are bad; they require
> more special cases, create ambiguities and confusion.

Conceptually, the idea of the actual data just being one element of the
meta-data doesn't seem unreasonable.

I have to confess that in my implementations to date I had just assumed
that the data is only one property within the schema, and it's certainly
much simpler for me to code it that way in my own application.

For webdav sync I would suggest that the caldav:calendar-data and
carddav:address-data (and perhaps other pseudo-properties I don't know
about) should be available to the sync report in the same way as they
are for the caldav:calendar-multiget and carddav:addressbook-multiget
reports.

It would also be nice to see a generic DAV:multiget report replacing the
*-multiget reports, since they don't seem to do anything particularly
special within their respective namespaces.

Cheers,
     Andrew McMillan.

http://andrew.mcmillan.net.nz/                     Porirua, New Zealand
Twitter: _karora                                  Phone: +64(272)DEBIAN
       The truth is rarely pure, and never simple. -- Oscar Wilde