Re: allow use of multipart/form-data in draft-reschke-webdav-post

On 11/2/09 8:36 PM, Petr Tomasek wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 02, 2009 at 11:15:02AM +0100, Arnaud Quillaud wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Late comment on draft-reschke-webdav-post:
>>
>> Browser based applications are not allowed to upload files from the
>> client filesystem by any mean other than using an HTML form containing a
>> file param and an enctype of multipart/form-data. As a consequence,
>> those applications have no way to upload local files to a WebDAV
>> repository using PUT (my knowledge of browser based technologies is
>> rather limited but I have found at least a few references to this
>> limitation).
>>
>> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-reschke-webdav-post could partially
>> solve this issue by simply allowing a multipart/form-data containing a
>> single subpart to be POSTed.
>>
>> Modifying a resource by uploading it again would still not be possible
>> of course but that can be somehow workarounded.
>>
>> Arnaud Quillaud
>>
> Wouldn't it be easier (and a cleaner solution) if the browsers just supported PUT/WebDAV?

It might be cleaner but definitely not easier to get this standardized
on all browsers (and have all legacy browsers disappear).

Found a page describing the behavior of different browsers at
http://pseudo-flaw.net/content/web-browsers/form-data-encoding-roundup/

Arnaud Quillaud