Re: [VCARDDAV] REPORT related comments, was: vcarddav WGLC on draft-ietf-vcarddav-{carddav, mkcol}

Cyrus Daboo wrote:
>> 3) Related to that:
>>
>> "As a result the "Depth" header MUST be ignored by the server and SHOULD
>> NOT be sent by the client." --
>> <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-vcarddav-carddav-06#section-8.7>
>>
>> Nope. Really :-). This is incompatible with generic report handling.
>> Instead, specify the desired behavior for Depth == 0, require clients to
>> set Depth == 0 or leave it out, and require servers to return status 400
>> for other values (like in RFC 3744).
>
> Ok, so then we go with "the Depth header MUST be present and set to the
> value 0 (zero)" in all of these reports. Is that sufficient?

The default is 0 anyway (per RFC 3253). Making a requirement on the
client doesn't make sense here; if Depth values != 0 are not supported,
then the requirement is on the server to reject the request.

That being said: are you positively sure that the default depth handling
defined in RFC 3253 does not apply here?

1) addressbook-query

In this case, the scope is the set of address objects contained in the
address book collection (at the request URI), right? (*)

Thus depth != 0 would essentially mean the same thing, as recursion into
child collections wouldn't (by definition) find any additional address
objects. Thus, I don't see any reason to forbid it, just mention it's
meaningless.

(*) Or is it allowed to address a specific address object?

2) multiget

Again, I think it would become clearer if you could precisely define
what the scope for Depth 0 is. Does it include indirect child resources
(they wouldn't be address objects, but could still report WebDAV
properties, right?)?

BR, Julian