use of DTD in draft-ietf-vcarddav-carddav-06, was: [VCARDDAV] vcarddav WGLC on draft-ietf-vcarddav-{carddav,mkcol}

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 14:41:39 +0100
To: vcarddav@ietf.org, WebDAV <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
CC: Marc Blanchet <marc.blanchet@viagenie.ca>
Hi,

a few comments with respect how draft-ietf-vcarddav-carddav-06 uses DTD
fragments for defining the CardDAV related elements:

1) Section 2.2 (XML Namespaces and Processing) should be expanded to
include statements about how the DTD fragments are to be understood,
similar to Section 2 in draft-ietf-vcarddav-webdav-mkcol-04.

2) The XML spec reference needs to be updated to W3C.REC-xml-20081126,
just as in draft-ietf-vcarddav-webdav-mkcol-04. (Note I'd recommend to
use a shorter reference name, such as just "XML".

3) I had trang (<http://www.thaiopensource.com/relaxng/trang.html>)
parse the DTD fragments for me (to do that just markup the artwork with
the proper type of "application/xml-dtd", then use rfc2629xslt's
extract-artwork.xslt
(<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2629xslt/rfc2629xslt.html#extract-artwork>).

A minor issue I found is that at least one element type definition
(addressbook) appeared multiple times; this is not really a problem as
long as they all say the same thing.

On the other hand, address-data has three different definitions (see
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-vcarddav-carddav-06#section-10.4>),
depending on the context it's used in. I think this really should be
avoided. The simplest fix for this seems to just use three distinct names.

Best regards, Julian