Re: text in pre/postcondition

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 15:53:08 +0100
To: Arnaud Quillaud <Arnaud.Quillaud@Sun.COM>
CC: WebDAV <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>

Arnaud Quillaud wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The definition of the pre/postconditions mentions that "If not specified
> otherwise, the content for each condition's XML element is defined to be
> empty." (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4918#section-16)
>
> Implicitly, this seems to indicate that one can not stuff text within
> the condition element (at least for the ones defined by webdav) which is
> unfortunate as this would be very useful for interoperability testing.

One could argue that the standard extensibility rules apply, thus you
could have a custom child element which then in turn contains the text.

> Was this restriction made on purpose ?

As far as I recall, the purpose was to avoid specifying DTD fragments
for each of them.

> Are there implementations that actually do stuff text within the
> condition ?

I haven't seen that in practice.

> Thanks,
>
> Arnaud Q
>
> PS: I'm assuming that the same restriction applies to CalDAV/CardDAV
> (?...).

Yes, by inheritance, I'd say.

BR, Julian