href in PROPFIND response question

From: Evert | Rooftop <evert@rooftopsolutions.nl>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 20:19:05 -0400
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
Hey guys,

I have had a user reporting a bug in my WebDAV server library. To keep
things short, I currently url-encode every segment in the href-element
within propfind responses.

This has thus far worked for everyone, except this user (who reported
to use Git as a client). After removing the url-encoding of the
contents of the href element, things started working fine.

So as for the question: should the href element be url-encoded or not?
The spec doesn't explicitly seem to mention either way. I'm worried if
I just plain remove this, clients might pick up '%-sequences' in href-
elements and wrongfully decode them.

Thanks,
Evert