Re: Relationship between BIND and RFC 3253

From: Werner Donné <werner.donne@re.be>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 15:50:06 +0200
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: Geoffrey M Clemm <geoffrey.clemm@us.ibm.com>, w3c-dist-auth@w3.org

There are indeed no additional semantics for UNCHECKOUT in section 14.
Therefore, I think the semantics of section section 4.5 apply, because
a version-controlled collection is also a version-controlled resource.

Though the introduction of section 14 mentions workspaces, I don't think
the merge feature is limited to workspaces. It is allowed to use a
version-controlled collection as the request URI and a collection
as the source. If both would be associated with the same version
for example, it would be strange if in such a case new version-
members would be created as described in section 4.11.

On 07 Oct 2008, at 14:45, Julian Reschke wrote:

> Werner Donné wrote:
>> Hi Julian,
>> Why is it only valid inside a workspace?
>> Best regards,
>> Werner.
> The behavior for UNCHECKOUT on versioned collections isn't described
> in RFC3253, but the errata list (<http://www.webdav.org/deltav/protocol/rfc3253-issues-list.htm
> >) says:
> Editorial
> Editor
> The semantics of UNCHECKOUT applied to a version-controlled
> collection is undefined.
> Julian Reschke: message
> Define UNCHECKOUT semantics to be those of doing an UPDATE to the
> DAV:checked-out version."
> What's relevant is 14.11 (IMHO), which says:
> "...If a new version-controlled member is in a workspace that
> already has a version-controlled resource for that version history,
> then the new version-controlled member MUST be just a binding (i.e.,
> another name for) that existing version-controlled resource.
> Otherwise, the content and dead properties of the new version-
> controlled member MUST have been initialized to be those of the
> version specified for that version history by the request..."
> So it seems that creating a *different* version controlled resource
> would be allowed here.
> BR, Julian

Werner Donné  --  Re                                     http://www.pincette.biz
Engelbeekstraat 8                                               http://www.re.be