Re: multiget reports Re: Thoughts on relation to WebDAV

On 29.05.2008, at 12:10, Julian Reschke wrote:
> The assumption seems to be: we need multi-GET because of initial
> sync, and thus, if we have it, we'll use it for everything.

Well, not for 'everything', for fetching changed resources from a
server into a cache. This is a very common and useful operation. And
its *not* just the initial sync, initial sync is just the worst case.
Its not that unusual that hundreds of resources are changed while I'm
out of office for a day ...

But sure, since pipelining has no good realworld adoption, it would
have the potential to actually replace it. (just look at CSS image
sprites!)

> Another approach would be to have a special GETtable resource that
> can be used for the initial sync, and then use regular, conditional
> GET requests for everything else....

Yes, that would be an OK workaround. But it somehow has a hackish
feeling to me, since the obvious solution for the actual problem is
indeed a BATCH :-)

Anyways, can we drop the generic-BATCH discussion and focus on options
to generalize the multiget-REPORTs?

Thanks,
   Helge
--