one crazy notion about dealing with windows file name reserved characters

From: Phillips, Mark <mphill14@harris.com>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 19:12:16 -0600
To: <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>

As I was shutting down today, something occured to me that seems like something this agust list may have considered before.

If, in my webdav client before an HTTP PUT, I was to run the URI component encoding twice, so that %20 becomes $2520 for example, do you think Apache mod_dav would reliably decode only once. Thus, the "illegal" character would remain encoded as %20 in the URI component and subsequently on the file system?

For those thinking, "why not just try it?", I will but I am fishing for expertise and wisdom I have yet to gain with webDAV+Apache+Windows. Sometimes the pitfalls are not immediately obvious at my level of experience with dav and mod_dav.

Thanks, in advance,

Mark Phillips