Re: multiget reports Re: Thoughts on relation to WebDAV

Julian Reschke wrote:

> Helge Hess wrote:
>> But then the server always has the option to reject the BATCH with
>>  501, which would then make the client fallback. Well, and a
>> servlet which does WebDAV, needs to do most of the HTTP stack
>> itself anyways ;-)
>
> Well, not entirely. I'd say the stuff that is defined in Part1 of
> httpbis
> (<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-ietf-httpbis-p1-messaging-latest.html>)
>  probably is done by the servlet container.

I found both Tomcat's and Jetty's HTTP stack to be unsuitable as a basis
for building a DAV stack. Certainly it *should* be as you suggest; but
these programs weren't designed with this kind of extension in mind.
Really, it is much easier to throw it all away and start again.

Jetty is much better than Tomcat in this respect; but even Jetty has
some limitations. This isn't really criticism; designing software to be
extensible without having much of a clue what extensions people are
going to try and build is very difficult.

--
Jack.