multiget reports Re: Thoughts on relation to WebDAV

From: Helge Hess <helge.hess@opengroupware.org>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 22:01:14 +0200
To: WebDAV <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>, vcarddav@ietf.org

On 15.03.2008, at 11:55, Julian Reschke wrote:
> There are several things where CardDAV would benefit from generic
> WebDAV extensions, most of which are covered by Cyrus' proposals:
>
> - using MKCOL to create "special" collections (instead of inventing
> new methods all the time) (<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-daboo-webdav-mkcol-00.html
> >)

I like this one.

> - potentially extract the REPORT method definition from RFC3253, and
> move it into a separate spec, including clarifications

Something I would love to see is a generic WebDAV/HTTP mechanism to do
the bulk resource GET, aka the CALDAV:calendar-multiget and
CARDDAV:addressbook-multiget REPORTs.
Those are not really representation format specific, except that the
XML result somehow implies a text entity.

I really would love to see this in a generic way instead of inventing
new REPORTs for each protocol (just like with MKCOL).

Note: I'm not convinced that a REPORT is the proper way to do this. I
think some kind of nested request would be nice (maybe a multipart?).

Probably this was discussed before? Was the conclusion that pipelining
is a sufficient replacement?

Thanks,
   Helge
--