punctuation and path names

From: Phillips, Mark <mphill14@harris.com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 12:04:39 -0600
To: <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>

Hello,

I am new to this list, so please point me in the right direction if, and when, I post an off topic question. For the record, I am new to DAV, but have read the RFC's and the book by Lisa Dusseault. Thus I have a modest grip on the terminology. I did succeed in building a working client so I have a small amount of "hands on" experience. Still, the level of discourse on this list easily exceeds my depth.

I have a question regarding embedded punctuation, e.g. forward and backward slashes, colons, question marks, etc.. The source data and end user habits seem to require performing a substitution for some components of the URI. Say, "Client 16_Red Documents" in lieu of "Client 16/Red Documents". That is, I have reached the gap between correct URI and human language.

I assume others have considered this problem before. I would like to know what strategies and techniques others have employed to resolve or mitigate it.

Thank you,

 - Mark Phillips