Re: AW: DAV:principal-URL

On May 23, 2008, at 4:10 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:
> OK, let's assume a server that has only one URI per principal, and
> that URI is a mailto URI.\

   ...but that's not allowed; a server is required to expose at least
one http(s) scheme URL for each principal.  It's just not required (we
think) that this be the one in the DAV:principal-URL property; it
might one of the alternate URIs.

> Obviously, you wouldn't able to PROPFIND the DAV:principal-URL
> property.
>
> The mailto URIs would be exposed in ACLs.
>
> DAV:current-user-principal-resource (*) would show expose the mailto
> URI.
>
> So, what would be the problem here with respect to your extension

   That makes the extension useful only if you want to know what your
URI is in ACEs.  I can see that being somewhat useful, but it's highly
limiting.

   The reason we want the extension for CalDAV clients is to query
other properties of the principal, such as the calendar home set, the
display name, etc.  That is, given some credentials, we want to know
"who the hell am I?".

> PS: I don't think that would be a terrible useful impl, I'm just
> trying to understand your previous statement about needing HTTP URIs
> for your extension.
>
> (*) Shouldn't that be "DAV:current-user-principal-URL", by the way?

   I think it should be if we can require that it be the same as the
DAV:principal-URL property on the principal resource, but Cyrus argued
that the name should emphasize that it provides access to a resource
that can yield further information about the current principal.

	-wsv