Re: AW: DAV:principal-URL

From: Cyrus Daboo <cyrus@daboo.name>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 16:17:16 -0400
To: Geoffrey M Clemm <geoffrey.clemm@us.ibm.com>, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
cc: acl@webdav.org, Konstantin Breu <Konstantin.Breu@gmx.net>, 'WebDAV' <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>, 'Wilfredo Sánchez Vega' <wsanchez@wsanchez.net>

Hi Geoffrey,

--On May 14, 2008 3:31:01 PM -0400 Geoffrey M Clemm
<geoffrey.clemm@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> If we believe that it is reasonable to require that the DAV:principal-URL
> be an HTTP URL, then I'm fine with just requiring this in RFC3774bis.
> If we don't require that, then I don't think we can require that there be
> a way to "find" that principal, since as you say, if you can find it
> using the information in the DAV:principal-URL, you should have been able
> to format that information as an HTTP URL.

Actually I think the requirement is that the principal-URL property MUST
contain an HTTP URL to a principal resource valid on the server. i.e. an
HTTP URL to some random resource on another server is just as useless as a
urn:uuid, if you need to resolve back to an actual principal resource.

--
Cyrus Daboo