Re: The use of status code 506 (Loop Detected)

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 11:37:38 +0100
To: werner.donne@re.be
CC: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org

Werner Donné wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In the bindings draft the status code 506 is introduced as a
> possible response for the PROPFIND method. Is it allowed to
> use the status code for other methods as well?

I'd say yes, as long as the error is the one defined for 506
(<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-ietf-webdav-bind-latest.html#status.506.loop.detected>):

"The 506 (Loop Detected) status code indicates that the server
terminated an operation because it encountered an infinite loop while
processing a request with "Depth: infinity". This status indicates that
the entire operation failed."

> The use-case is a server which doesn't allow the creation of
> loops. When an operation would create a loop the status code
> could be used to report it. When a server supports bindings
> a sequence of MOVE methods could create a loop for example.

I think it would be better to return a 409 with
DAV:error/DAV:cycle-allowed here.

BR, Julian