Von: Julian Reschke [mailto:julian.reschke@gmx.de]
Gesendet: Mo 08.10.2007 10:16
An: Litz, Markus
Cc: tim@brooklynpenguin.com; w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
Betreff: Re: AW: Standardizing Batch methods?

markus.litz@dlr.de wrote:

> We develop a WebDAV client specialized for organizing scientific data and one of its main requirements is absolute data integrity. There are many situations on which one user action results in several webdav-request. This leads to two serious disadvantages. First, if a user action leads to 50 or 100 webdav request, depending on the network bandwidth and server performance, this could be really slow. And secondly if the client crashes in the middle of a difficult job, this could result in inconsistent data.
> Some time ago, there was a discussion about microsofts batch methods and transactions, which deals about exact the same problems we facing here. So, I'm interested if in the meantime one of this solutions had lead to a draft status or if this issue had been discarded. Maybe our organization could help working to accelerate the progress of writing a draft.

Markus,

the main issue here is that it's totally non-trivial to define batch and
transactions methods over HTTP.

- for batch: things that bypass caches and pipelining may be slower in
practice.

- for transactions: I'm only aware of one implementation (Microsoft's),
and that one breaks HTTP semantics.

So, if you want to get somewhere somebody will have to make a proposal
and start work implementing it inside a server, proving that it indeed
works and performs well.

Best regards, Julian