From: w3c-dist-auth-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-dist-auth-request@w3.org]
On Behalf Of Arnaud Quillaud
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2007 9:30 AM
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
Subject: conditional methods and WebDAV

Hello,

HTTP defines a few conditional headers (if-* headers) and so does WebDAV
(if header). In both cases those headers can be used "to make *a* method
conditional". There is no table listing which method can be made
conditional.
By reading between the lines one can guess that the if-* headers main
purpose is for GET/PUT methods while if can be applied to pretty much
any method but that is about it.

This brings up a few questions:
* is the choice to make one method conditional or not left to server
implementations ?
* how can a client discover whether a particular method honor one of the
if* headers (e.g. DELETE with if-match, PROPPATCH with
if-unmodified-since or PROPFIND with if-modified-since) ?
* should the WebDAV if header be honored on all HTTP/WebDAV/*DAV methods
?

Thanks,

Arnaud Q