Re: [Ietf-carddav] Comments on draft-daboo-carddav-02

Am 16.07.2007 um 23:13 schrieb Julian Reschke:
> Cyrus Daboo wrote:
>> Whilst that tells you if you have a conflict, you still end up
>> having to take a guess at another resource name to use to actually
>> save the new data. Hopefully, the second guess will work.
>> The one benefit I have heard to the POST/ADDMEMBER approach is if
>> the server has limitations on resource names. Typically those are
>> servers that proxy their data to/from another, more rigid, system.
>
> Yep. And that's why I think ADDMEMBER would be useful. POST just is
> too generic.

I think a client would need context for both methods. If you think of
adding ADDMEMBER to a generic client like "curl", it's not much more
it could do besides what it already does for POST.

If you talk about a "higher level" client (e.g. more aware of the
context it works on), the method name again does not make a big
difference. If AtomPub would have used ADDMEMBER instead of POST,
what improvement exactly would one expect from that?

Cheers,

Stefan