Re: [Ietf-carddav] Comments on draft-daboo-carddav-02

From: Cyrus Daboo <cyrus@daboo.name>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 17:04:34 -0400
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, Wilfredo Sánchez Vega <wsanchez@wsanchez.net>
cc: Stefan Eissing <stefan.eissing@greenbytes.de>, WebDAV <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>, ietf-carddav@osafoundation.org

Hi Julian,

--On July 16, 2007 9:23:46 PM +0200 Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
wrote:

>>   This would have been useful in CalDAV; rather than having the client
>> hope that the name it chooses isn't already in use.
>>
>>     -wsv
>
> PUT ...
> If-None-Match: "*"

Whilst that tells you if you have a conflict, you still end up having to
take a guess at another resource name to use to actually save the new data.
Hopefully, the second guess will work.

The one benefit I have heard to the POST/ADDMEMBER approach is if the
server has limitations on resource names. Typically those are servers that
proxy their data to/from another, more rigid, system.

--
Cyrus Daboo