Re: HTTP URI scheme

From: Wilfredo Sánchez Vega <wsanchez@wsanchez.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 16:30:53 -0800
Cc: werner.donne@re.be, Jay Daley <jay@nominet.org.uk>, w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>

   Not entirely true.  The one drawback is that you have to launch
*some* agent before you can find out which agent should be handling
the URI.  Plus, it's possible that said agent wants the full response,
not just the body.  So you end up with:

   - User clicks http://phobos.apple.com/...
   - Safari launches
   - Safari opens the URL
   - Safari realizes this URL is meant for iTunes
   - iTunes launches
   - iTunes opens the URL

   The Safari steps (particularly expensive if it wasn't already
running) are all avoided with the itms:// scheme hack.  Which isn't to
say it's not the wrong way to do it, but it certainly isn't "just as
good" to rely on the MIME type.

	-wsv