Re: HTTP URI scheme

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 12:08:15 +0100
To: werner.donne@re.be
CC: Jay Daley <jay@nominet.org.uk>, w3c-dist-auth@w3.org

Werner Donné schrieb:
>> Where exactly would a "webdav" scheme help here? Can you give a
>> definition what information it would provide? Would I be allowed to
>> use it for resources that just support PROPFIND, for instance?
>
> No, of course not. The scheme tells you you can rely on all the
> mandatory features of the WebDAV protocol, which allows you to
> switch to another protocol handler without the extra round-trip
> to find that out.

A server that does only support PROPFIND and fails all other WebDAV
requests with not authorized could be compliant (it may support those
methods at a different point of time, or for different users).

Furthermore: DAV level 1 or 2?

I think the important point is that having different protocol handlers
may be the wrong way to approach that problem.

> ..

>> That's why the newer WebDAV specs provide DAV:error. And again, how
>> would a different URI scheme help here?
>
> The DAV:error just gives you a report about the point of failure.
> It is not necessarily the case that the action of the user is
> directly related to that point. He could have launched a procedure
> which comprise much more than what you would typically expect
> behind a link in a browser.

Again: how would a different URI scheme help here? Concrete example, please?

Best regards, Julian