Re: HTTP URI scheme

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 10:12:34 +0100
To: Jay Daley <jay@nominet.org.uk>
CC: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org

Jay Daley schrieb:
> Hi
>
> Can anyone point me to an explanation as to why  WebDAV uses http:// as
> the URI scheme instead of something WebDAV specific that would signal when
> a URI is WebDAV compliant?  I've had a go at searching the lists but can't
> find not the reasoning behind it.
>
> thanks in advance

Well, a WebDAV resource *is* an HTTP resource. Why would you create a
new URI scheme? Would you also create new URI schemes for WebDAV ACL,
WebDAV DeltaV and so on...? (*)

The capabilities of an HTTP resource can be discovered reliably at
runtime, either by just trying (and let the server fail), or by using
the OPTIONS method.

Best regards, Julian

(*) Yes, Apple did something similar with iTunes and iCal, but I think
there's wide agreement that was a mistake.