Re: AW: Need feedback on new Mini-Redirector tutorial

Konstantin Breu wrote:
> Generally: I wonder how "important" the mini-redirector is... is it
> important to test a webdav server with it? Or is it more likely that users
> are using the web folder client?

The web folder client is gone in Vista.

> One point: The documentation could mention the User-Agent-Strings of the
> clients (web folder, mini-redirector,...). Or the wikepedia page ;-).
>
> At my systems (Win XP), I was not able to use the mini-redirector (net use *
> ) so far. When I connect to WebDAV servers, I do not get a drive letter.
> Except I use WebDrive, or something like that. But not by using Office,
> Internet Explorer (open as web folder) or Windows Explorer (Add Network
> Resource).
>
> The documentation says that Web folder client is the old one, and that the
> WebDAV Mini-Redirector is the "next generation" client. The reader could
> read that as "web folder client old, bad", "mini-redirector, new, good"...

...where the opposite is true :-)

> But Microsoft offered an update of the web folder client in May. So it's not
> outdated or deprecated. And I wonder in which situations my system would use
> the mini-redirector. Well, your documentation only describes the net use *
> method for using the mini-redirector... which means that all other "normal"
> ways of connection perhaps use the other client. Right?

Hard to say. In XP, IE defaults to mini-redirector, and falls back to
web folders when the mini redirector fails (that's why hacks like
appending an ":80" to the host name changes the behaviour).

In Vista, things have changed; but I'm not sure exactly how.

Best regards, Julian