Re: PROPPATCH question (setlastmodified)

From: Tobias Giesen <tobias@tgtools.de>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 18:04:09 +0200
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org

Lisa wrote:
>   - T: Client A acquires some files locally with timestamp T
>   - T+1: Client B synchronizes from the repository
>   - T+2: Client A uploads file and sets timestamp T in order to match
> up to local timestamp
>   - T+3: Client B relies on ETags for synchronization we hope,
> because otherwise the new file will show up as if it has already been
> synchronized...  even if client B successfully downloads these files,
> do we know that it's capable of setting the local timestamp or will B
> constantly see a mismatch between its local timestamp and the server's?

Personally I don't have a problem with this scenario, as my customers
use only one client software (mine) and I know that it's capable of
setting the local timestamp. So Client B will know that it needs to
download files even if their timestamp is older than the last time
Client B did a synchronization. It will make its local timestamp
identical and will not constantly see any mismatch.

So, one custom property containing the true last edited/modified
timestamp would be sufficient for me. I will try it and hope that
the WebDAV servers will accept it and actually store it.

Cheers,
Tobias