Re: RFC 3744: principal-collection-set

From: Cyrus Daboo <cyrus@daboo.name>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 10:02:53 -0400
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
cc: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org

Hi Julian,

--On April 27, 2007 3:52:18 PM +0200 Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
wrote:

>> that, why have anything in OPTIONS when they could be a property? For
>> example, why do we need the DASL header in OPTIONS in WebDAV SEARCH? Why
>> can't that be a property? Sorry Julian, I had to bring that one up :-)
>
> I totally agree, and thus SEARCH has also the
> DAV:supported-query-grammar-set property
> (<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-reschke-webdav-search-12.html#PR
> OPERTY_supported-query-grammar-set>).
>
> I tried to get rid of the DASL header a long time ago, but was told to
> keep it for backwards compatibility with the old expired DASL spec.

Why not state the intention to deprecate it in a future version and say
servers MUST support it (for now), but clients SHOULD NOT rely on it. That
way clients can migrate to using the property and eventually we can get rid
of the header. Maybe the draft already says that and I missed it...

--
Cyrus Daboo