Re: WebDAV capabilities in HTML?

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 18:04:44 +0200
To: Jim Whitehead <ejw@soe.ucsc.edu>
CC: WebDav WG <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>, Rohit Khare <rohit@commerce.net>

Jim Whitehead schrieb:
> OK, it appears I wasn't clear enough in my original post. Let me try again.
>
> I am interested in the kinds of applications that might be possible if:
> a) a standard Web browser can act as a WebDAV client
> b) new XHTML tags existed whose semantics mapped to one or more WebDAV
> methods
>
> I recognize that current web browsers currently can execute WebDAV
> methods via Javascript. This requires a fair degree of sophistication,
> and raises cross-browser compatibility issues. What if some set of
> WebDAV operations were accessible via XHTML elements? This would permit
> these operations to be specified in an XHTML document simply, ideally
> with greater cross-platform compatibility.

Ah.

Well, the cross-browser issues are IMHO slowly going away, with most
current browsers exposing the XMLHttpRequest object (see
<http://www.w3.org/TR/XMLHttpRequest/>).

I'm not sure what the chances of getting cross-browser support for new
XHTML elements are, considering that IE7 still doesn't support XHTML at
all...

Best regards, Julian