Re: DAV:resource-id and overwriting COPY with different resource types

Tim Olsen schrieb:

> The DeltaV RFC clarifies that the preexisting destination resource of
> an overwriting COPY "MUST NOT be deleted, but MUST be updated to have
> the content and dead properties of [the source]" (Sec 1.7).
>
> Likewise, the latest BIND draft specifies that a "COPY that updates an
> existing resource must not change the value of its DAV:resource-id
> property" (Sec 2.7).
>
> The DeltaV RFC stipulates, however, that one is only required to avoid
> deleting the desitination resource if it "has the same resource type
> as the corresponding resource at the request-URL" (Sec 1.7).  It does
> not appear that the BIND draft makes any similar statement.
>
> My question is, if I want to overwrite one type of resource (say a
> collection) with another (say a regular resource representing a file),
> does the resource-id of the destination have to stay the same?

I would say that depends on your implementation. If you have a way to
turn an existing collection into a file (which I think would be an
exotic feature...), then the resource-id indeed should stay the same. On
the other hand, if your server internally deletes the collection and
creates a new resource in place, assigning a new resource-id is the
right thing to do.

The import point being here that none of the specs requires you to keep
the resource-in in this case.

Best regards, Julian