Re: Comments on the "new" 2518

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 20:03:30 +0100
To: John Barone <jbarone@xythos.com>
CC: 'Geoffrey M Clemm' <geoffrey.clemm@us.ibm.com>, 'Kevin Wiggen' <kwiggen@xythos.com>, w3c-dist-auth@w3.org, w3c-dist-auth-request@w3.org

John Barone wrote:
> You state that the SHOULD language surrounding the "best-effort"
> behavior of MOVE allows us to implement the operation as
> "all-or-nothing" and still be compliant with the spec.; fair enough.
> However, I'd think that the SHOULD language in a spec. should lean in
> the direction of the desired/expected behavior.   From Xythos'
> perspective, "best-effort" is not the desired behavior, but then again,
> we're just one voice.  If the belief is that "best-effort" is the
> consensus for the desired behavior when MOVEing a collection, then so be
> it.  However, if in future revisions the language changes to a MUST,
> then Xythos would have to argue vigorously against such a change.

Hi,

I'd like to emphasize that - as far as I can tell - nobody is suggesting
any change like that. The RFC2518 language IMHO accurately reflects the
fact that an implementation of MOVE varies a lot based on the underlying
technology, and that there simply *are* cases where it can't be done
atomically.

Require it to be atomically, and those implementations that can't do it
will either ignore the requirement, or stop supporting MOVE. I don't
think this is what anybody wants.

Best regards, Julian