Re: Comments on the "new" 2518--Display Name

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 15:05:35 +0100
To: Kevin Wiggen <kwiggen@xythos.com>
CC: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org

Kevin Wiggen wrote:

> Not sure you understood my question.  I would like readers of the spec
> to understand the difference between a URL and Display Name and
> understand how that operates in the real world (MS Webfolders, Apple
> OSX, Xythos).  Webdav clients that make Webdav server look like file
> systems should expect the URL to be used in displays to users and NOT
> display name.  As client developers we often get into conflict on this
> point.  We of course can add a column in windows explorer to SHOW the
> display name, but the URL is the correct item to show users in this
> generic Webdav client.

Well, I wanted to make sure that what you're after is a clarification of
  how WebDAV has been working all the time, not something we changed in
RFC2518bis.

So yes, I agree that it would be useful to state that the
DAV:displayname property is not a replacement for the URL, that even in
presence of nice DAV:displayname there are still good reason to assign
meaningful URLs, and that clients can not assume that displaynames will
be unique for the members of a collection.

Do you want to propose specific text?

Best regards, Julian