Re: Fw: Possible problem in collection definition

From: Elias Sinderson <elias@soe.ucsc.edu>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 13:59:59 -0800
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
CC: Jason Crawford <nn683849@smallcue.com>, webdav <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>

Julian Reschke wrote:

> I'll try to describe how I understand the problem:
>
> 1) For each path segment mapping (== binding), there may be multiple
> alias path segments that are equivalent. Use cases are case foldings,
> Unicode normalization forms, dropped trailing dots, whatever.

Yes.

> 2) Each path segment mapping SHOULD have a canonical form that is
> reported upon PROPFIND on the parent collection, and no other alias
> should be reported additionally (*).

Agreed, and I believe that we can actually require this behavior.

> 3) Modifying an path segment alias will affect all other aliases; for
> instance, a successful UNBIND or DELETE on one of them will cause the
> other aliases to disappear (become unmapped) as well.

Of course.

> 4) Optimally, there would be a portable way for a client to discover
> the canonical form (**).

This may be too obvious, but how about simply recommending a PROPFIND on
the parent collection? This seems as good as any other approach to
discover the canonical form that a server uses for identifying a resource.

Best,
Elias