Relative references and whether requires an authority

From: Lisa Dusseault <lisa@osafoundation.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 13:22:24 -0800
Cc: webdav WG <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>

Julian,
I notice that the example you provided for relative references ("'/
example.com/sample/' and '/example.com/sample/a%20test'") included an
authority part.   Two things surprised me about that:
  - I thought that the authority part was optional, so there are thus
even more options for valid 'href' values than the ones you
provided.  E.g. '/sample/' and '/sample/a%20test' would be valid as
well as the URLs with authority but no scheme, and the complete
URLs.  The example text suggested makes it look like the allowable
WebDAV options are more limited the options RFC3986 offers as valid
Relative References

  - When the authority part is provided, it looks like it has to
begin with "//" so your example would be correct as ""'//example.com/
sample/' and '//example.com/sample/a%20test'"

I am looking at <http://rfc.net/rfc3986.html#s4.2.> for this.

lisa