manage many servers

From: Ha Pham <hapham@cs.utah.edu>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 15:53:27 -0700
To: <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
Hello all,

I would like to write a program to access different servers. Those servers require SSH access from clients. I don't have right to install any program on those servers. I also have my own server on which I can install WebDav server. Currently, I use SSH to access all servers, but my employer wants me to change to use WebDAV because he thinks it's more standard and secure. I am very new to WebDAV, so I don't very much know how powerful it is. I read on the FAQ and knew somethings different between WebDAV and SSH. As my understanding, the most powerful and difference between the 2 protocols is that WebDAV is based on HTTP protocol and let the web browser access the file systems. Can anyone help me in the problem I face: should I use WebDAV from the client to my WebDAV server, and the WebDAV server accesses other SSH based servers to return the file systems on those servers to the clients? Or I better use 2 seperate protocol: WebDAV to access my own server and SSH to access the servers I don't have right to install WebDAV? Or any other suggestions?

Thank you for your attention,
Looking forwards to receiving your help,

Ha Pham