Re: New mini WebDAV server

Wilfred wrote:
> We have just released a new WebDAV plugin for our server. The beta
> version can be downloaded from:
> http://barracudaserver.com/examples/BarracudaDrive/WebDAV.html
>
> We have so far tested the server with davfs2, Mac OS X, WebDrive, Web
> Folders, and MS MiniRedir.
>
> The server accepts the MS domain name prefix and can authenticate using
> either Basic or Digest. It should therefore be easy to use with
> MiniRedir, which requires Digest authentication i.e. you do not have to
> mess with the registry. We have however seen that MiniRedir fails to
> authenticate on some computers, but works on others even though the
> MiniRedir version appears to be the same on the computers we tested it
> on. Let me know if anyone would like to see the MiniRedir HTTP trace
> when it fails to authenticate.

I think auth behavior for MiniRedir may depend on registry settings
(those also control whether it allows Basic). I have no other pointers,
so you may have to google for that info...

> The purpose with the WebDAV plugin is to make it possible to mount
> embedded devices as a remote disk. The locking in DAV 2 is partly
> implemented in order to make it interoperate with "drive" clients
> requiring locking. A "drive" client such as davfs2 can then be mounted
> as a drive.
>
> As far as we see, locking in not a feature embedded devices need. It
> adds unnecessary complexity to the server. It also requires runtime
> resources and is costly to process.
>
> A WebDAV "drive" client should interoperate with a standard DAV 1 server.

I agree here. It would be interesting to understand why client
implementations actually request a lock (well, except if the application
opening the file indeed asked for a file lock).

Best regards, Julian