Re: BIND and live property value consistency

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 19:23:09 +0200
To: Lisa Dusseault <lisa@osafoundation.org>
CC: Geoffrey M Clemm <geoffrey.clemm@us.ibm.com>, webdav <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>

Lisa Dusseault wrote:

> It's too bad about confusing existing clients when 'getlastmodified'
> changes on some resource without any body changes (the client may be
> completely unaware of bindings changse going on elsewhere), but I guess
> that's a less bad approach than possibly causing synchronization errors.
>
> To me this seems like a perfect argument for requirements in the BIND
> spec, not just implementation advice.  Because of the synchronization
> problems clients would have if implementors do it wrong, we should add:
>
> "WebDAV (RFC2518) states that the getlastmodified property value MAY be
> updated when changes are made to the resource even if the changes
> aren't  to the resource body.  However, because clients may synchronize
> resources  based on the value of this property, and because a binding to
> one resource  at URL A may replace another binding at the same address,
> this requires a  new getlastmodified date in order to trigger the client
> to synchronize  properly.  Thus, the server MUST update the
> getlastmodified property value  whenever a new binding is added to an
> existing resource as well as when  REBIND is used."
>
> Lisa

Lisa,

in this case, MUST is wrong as well. A server may very well be aware of
any resource mapped previously to that URI, so it *could* make a better
decision.

Anyway, this is a generic HTTP vs WebDAV issue, so please add it to the
RFC2518bis issues list; and let's resolve it there.

Best regards, Julian