Re: WebDav methods and idempotency

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 09:27:18 +0100
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
CC: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org

Mark Nottingham wrote:
> If MOVE is non-idempotent, it might also be good to clarify the
> semantics of MOVEing a null resource in 2518bis; i.e., that it's
> allowed, and won't give a 404 (for example).

Finally I'm starting to understand the issue :-)

Yes, MOVE applied to a null resource is expected to fail (with 404);
thus doing a MOVE two times in a row should leave the system in the same
state as doing it once. Seems it's idempotent after all. Same for COPY,

RFC3253 allows PUT and COPY (target resource) to be auto-versioned. That
is, everytime you PUT to a URI, you may be -- as a side effect --
creating a new version (and the DeltaV live properties on the resource
will reflect this). Can we still consider this idempotent. RFC3253bis
should say something about this..

Best regards, Julian