Re: WebDav methods and idempotency

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 09:27:18 +0100
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
CC: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org

Mark Nottingham wrote:

> If MOVE is non-idempotent, it might also be good to clarify the
> semantics of MOVEing a null resource in 2518bis; i.e., that it's
> allowed, and won't give a 404 (for example).

Finally I'm starting to understand the issue :-)

Yes, MOVE applied to a null resource is expected to fail (with 404);
thus doing a MOVE two times in a row should leave the system in the same
state as doing it once. Seems it's idempotent after all. Same for COPY,
except...:

RFC3253 allows PUT and COPY (target resource) to be auto-versioned. That
is, everytime you PUT to a URI, you may be -- as a side effect --
creating a new version (and the DeltaV live properties on the resource
will reflect this). Can we still consider this idempotent. RFC3253bis
should say something about this..

Best regards, Julian