Re: [Ietf-caldav] Re: draft-reschke-http-addmember-00

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 21:47:43 +0100
To: Jamie Lokier <jamie@shareable.org>
CC: Geoffrey M Clemm <geoffrey.clemm@us.ibm.com>, WebDAV <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>, CalDAV DevList <ietf-caldav@osafoundation.org>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

Jamie Lokier wrote:
> If it's done, the behaviour of the server is unpredictable.  ADDMEMBER
> doesn't fix that.

You keep saying that :-) So are you saying that defining new methods
never ever is the right approach, because there are broken servers out
there?

If that's the case, let's just agree that we disagree.

> (Although it would shift the likelihood towards a simple failure
> rather than an unwanted side effect.  Is it worth creating a new
> method just to change the likelihood of a behaviour when a CalDAV
> client is pointed at the wrong URL?)

ADDMEMBER is a generic method. It doesn't have anything specific to do
with CalDAV except that it *could* be used with CalDAV.

Best regards, Julian