Re: [Ietf-caldav] [Fwd: draft-reschke-http-addmember-00]

From: Bernard Desruisseaux <bernard.desruisseaux@oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 00:19:23 -0500
To: WebDAV <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, CalDAV DevList <ietf-caldav@osafoundation.org>
CC: Cyrus Daboo <daboo@isamet.com>, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>, Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>

Ideally we would have a solution that would work for all methods that
may request the creation of a new resource (e.g, LOCK, PUT, COPY, MOVE,
MKCOL, MKWORKSPACE, MKACTIVITY, MKCALENDAR, ...).

Could the solution be as simple as specifying an empty query component
(e.g., "?") in the Request-URI for those methods, and have the methods
return the Location header as part of their response?

For instance,

   PUT /calendar/bernard/?

would request the server to create a new resource in the collection
/calendar/bernard/ and let the server chose the name of the resource.

Is there already a defined use for the query component for the methods
mentionned above?

Cheers,
Bernard