Re: [Ietf-caldav] [Fwd: draft-reschke-http-addmember-00]

Jamie Lokier wrote:
> which I took to mean you wanted to be sure of what would happen,
> perhaps with a view to a security policy or intermediary behaviour.
> My mistake.
>
> So I'll humbly rephrase my question:
>
> Even if you do specify ADDMEMBER more tightly (than POST), I still
> don't see how the difference would benefit you.  You say it is useful
> to have an idea what the server will do with a POST, in general.  In
> general means an arbitrary URI with unknown properties, because if
> it's a URI with known properties, you know exactly what POST will do.
>
> How does specifying ADDMEMBER to have tighter semantics than PUT and
> POST benefit you when sending the request to an arbitrary URI with
> unknown properties?  Can you give an example?

The same way as COPY, LOCK, MOVE, VERSION-CONTROL,
<insert-your-favorite-method-here>...

I don't think I understand your point. Any operation *can* be marshalled
through POST, but that doesn't mean it's the best way to do it.

Best regards, Julian